What are we doing to become more sustainable
One of the biggest issues we face at this time is sustainability and we have for several years been proactive and committed to minimizing our environmental impact.
Below are issues we have explored and reacted to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Using local suppliers to reduce travel and disturbance to the local area.
- During the construction of the Wallace Function Suite in 1998 we insulated walls floors and ceilings to a greater specification than required by building regulations
- Installed an air source heat pump heating system for efficiency and effectiveness.
- The new build of the Mosser suite includes all energy efficiency saving product and methods.
- Forty percent of the accommodation is now heated and provided with hot water from a biomass boiler unit.
- As bedrooms are redecorated and refitted, we use LED fittings and any other items we can to achieve better insulation values.
- All waste issues are controlled and monitored by our local authority and recycling bin are used by staff and made available for guests to use.
- To the annoyance of some staff, we continue to recycle scrap menus and printed paper for taking beverage and food orders.
- Recycled paper is used for menus etc and we encourage reception staff to respond to guest reservations and enquiries by E-mail
- We have been informed by Electricity North West that we are unable to provide electric charger points for guest vehicles, and until recently guests had to drive to Keswick or Workington to charge up.
- We will continue to pursue this matter through our local MP.